Progress So Far for Shorts
- Shorts averaging 30 billion views per day -> 400% more than when it started a year ago.
- 1.5 billion logged-in users watch shorts every month
- In April 2022, the top 1000 songs on shorts saw more than 140 billion combined views.
Why Shorts Depends on Music
- Shorts connect short-form video with long-form storytelling, which ultimately leads to building artists’ careers.
- Artists uploading both Shorts and long-form videos are seeing better overall watch time & subscriber growth (relatively to those only uploading long-form content.)
- Short form video is critical to music discovery.
Defining the connection between all categories on Youtube:
Music Discovery (with Shorts)
Music Consumption (on Youtube)
True Fandom (on Youtube Music)
New & Upcoming Shorts Features
Creation Tools to create Shorts even more in-depth such as:
- Green screen incorporation - users can now easily use their green screen to incorporate themselves over Shorts content to create their own original version of it.
- Cut - 1 to 5 seconds segment from any eligible content at the beginning of their Shorts.
- Collab - record yourself alongside an existing Shorts video (similar to the Tiktok collab variant)
- Extended Music
- Music previews - Critical to release strategies, will release asap. You will be able to tease a 15-30 seconds snippet to share prior to release. When the track is released it will automatically replace the snippet - so all Shorts using the snippet will automatically be connected to the full track release
- Featured Section - Great opportunity to showcase various artists/tracks based on a rotation system to help artist exposure and discovery.
- New tab on a Youtube channel for Shorts - no more Shorts and normal uploads in the same "Videos" section.
- Consume - Full metadata on the artist's page & album cover art which is clickable - easy navigation to the sound recording's page where you can also save the track to use in your own Shorts
- "Shorts using this song" section - A specific section playlist showcasing Shorts using a particular song
Tips and Considerations for Shorts
- Start with DIY performances
- Bring fans into the creative process
- Bring fans into your own life
- Collaborate with other artists
- Take your titles seriously
- Prioritise authenticity
- Batch shorts filming into one day
- Always tag your music
- Use youtube analytics
- Be patient